Makes a wonderful low-carb, meatless entree or can be used as a
side dish for pasta, etc. Perfect for dieters and vegetarians alike.
4 large bell peppers (may mix colors)
16 ounces white
button mushrooms, chopped small
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
tablespoons chopped fresh mixed Italian herbs (may use basil or oregano, etc.)
8 ounces ricotta cheese
3/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese or parmesan cheese or asiago cheese
wooden toothpicks (as needed)
1. Preheat broiler in oven.
2. Place peppers on foil on a baking sheet and place under broiler.
peppers as the blacken, to darken all sides.
4. When skin blisters and blackens all over, remove from oven and place peppers
in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
5. Allow peppers to sit undisturbed for 10-15 minutes to soften skins.
cook mushrooms in oil until soft and tender, seasoning with salt, pepper, and herbs.
7. Drain off any excess water that
releases from mushrooms and allow to cool.
8. Mix ricotta in a small bowl with dijon mustard until smooth.
mushrooms to this mixture (when cool) and stir.
10. Rinse peppers under cool water (especially if they are still warm-
to keep from burning your hands) and peel away loose skin.
11. Make a slit along the side of each pepper, and using knife
to cut close to the stem on the inside, remove seed cluster.
12. Rinse pepper to remove any stray seeds.
each pepper with a portion of the ricotta mixture, and skewer the pepper closed with one or more toothpicks.
place pepper on foil on a baking sheet.
15. Sprinkle tops of peppers with grated cheese.
16. If you have any leftover
filling (depending on your pepper's size) you may want to place this in an ovenproof ramekin and sprinkle with grated cheese
17. Broil peppers for 3-5 minutes (ramekin as well, if using), or until cheese lightly browns and filling is
18. Serve hot.