1 large cauliflower
300 ml milk
220 g mature cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons plain flour
50 g butter
25 g fresh breadcrumbs (optional)
1/2 teaspoon dried English mustard
salt and black pepper
1. *If oven baking, pre-heat oven to 225C or 450°F.
2. Trim the cauliflower
& break into small florets.
3. Boil in salted water for 10-15 minutes or until just tender.
4. Drain in a colander
and then place in a buttered ovenproof baking dish.
5. Add the milk, flour and butter to a saucepan.
6. Heat and whisking
with a wire whisk continuously until the sauce thickens, boils and is smooth.
7. Allow to simmer for a further 2 minutes.
8. Add three-quarters of the grated cheese, mustard, a pinch of nutmeg and seasoning.
9. Cook for further minute stirring
10. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower.
11. Mix the remaining cheese, and breadcrumbs, if using, together,
sprinkle over the top.
12. Place under a hot grill until golden brown, OR, bake in a pre-heated oven 2225C/459F for about
15 to 25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
13. Serve immediately.