6 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade)
2 cups boneless skinless
chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 medium onion, diced
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 small eggplants, peeled
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt & pepper
1. Place eggplant in
a large colander and sprinkle lightly with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes (sweating the eggplant). Rinse thoroughly to remove
salt and drain well.
2. In a large non-stick pot, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil and garlic over medium heat, being careful not
to burn the garlic (approx. 2 minutes).
3. Add eggplant to pot and saute for 12 minutes.
4. Add onion; saute until
5. Add diced tomatoes (including liquid), dried thyme, and salt & pepper. Bring to boil. Then, simmer
for 30 minutes stirring often and gently to break up tomatoes.
6. Meanwhile, place thawed spinach into colander and use
your hands to squeeze out any excess water; set aside.
7. Add chicken broth, chicken, and spinach. Simmer 30 minutes.
8. Serve with crusty French bread.
9. NOTES: Eggplant is a thirsty vegetable and will soak up olive oil when sauteing.
Do not be afraid to add extra oil as needed. If using store-bought chicken broth, then reduce to 4 cups and add 2 cups water.