"This is a time consuming recipe, but it's worth it! This dish always sells
out at a well-known Afghan restaurant nearby."
* 3/4 cup plain yogurt
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves
2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1 pound ground beef
* 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
* 1 cup water
1 carrot, grated
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 26 wonton wrappers
* 1 tablespoon tomato paste
* 1/8 teaspoon
red pepper flakes
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/2 cup dried yellow split peas
* 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 cube chicken bouillon
1 1/2 cups water
1. In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, mint, and garlic. Refrigerate.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef and onions until meat is browned, stirring occasionally to
crumble; drain fat. Stir in 1 cup water, carrot, salt, black pepper, 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin; simmer
uncovered for 30 minutes or until water evaporates.
3. Lay out wonton wrappers on aluminum foil. Mound two large spoonfuls
of beef mixture in the center of one wrapper. Dip a finger in water and trace it around all four edges. Lay a second wonton
wrapper on top of the first, and press on all edges to seal. Roll up the edges to create a round, hat-shaped ravioli. Repeat,
making 13 ravioli.
4. Place ravioli in steamer and steam 40 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, mix together the yellow
split peas, 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, chicken bouillon, and 1 1/2 cups of
water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium-low heat for about 45 minutes, or until it reaches a thick slurry-like
6. Meanwhile, in the large skillet, mix remaining beef mixture with 2 tablespoons water, tomato paste,
and 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Simmer over low heat until liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
7. To serve,
spread yogurt on a serving plate. Top with ravioli, and top again with split pea mixture. Finally, top with tomato and beef
mixture. Serve immediately.