This is a tasty, filling vegetarian main dish from The Moosewood
Cookbook. This makes a lot, so you may want to try half if cooking for a small family.
1¼ hours 20 min prep
2 stalks fresh broccoli, including
stems, peeled and chopped
1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 tablespoon butter
3 cups ricotta cheese or cottage cheese (or a combination)
3 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4-1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
or wheat germ
1. Saute chopped broccoli, mushrooms and onion in butter till tender. Salt and pepper
lightly. Toss with wine.
2. Beat eggs in a large bowl.
3. Whisk in ricotta/cottage cheese and sour cream.
4. Boil noodles in salted water till slightly underdone. Drain and butter.
5. Removed sauteed vegetables from
pan to cheese mixture with a slotted spoon.
6. Add noodles and either 1/4 cup bread crumbs or 2 T wheat germ. Mix
7. Spread into buttered 9x13 baking pan.
8. Top with more breadcrumbs or wheat germ and grated
9. Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350.
10. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more.