I thought this sounded like a great dessert/fruit can easily to switched
to different berries or even frozen berries. Prep time does not include overnight refrigeration.
2 hours 30 min prep
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
6 egg yolks
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 cups whipping cream
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 325-degrees F.
2. In a saucepan over low heat combine 2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup water, stirring
until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and boil without stirring until sugar carmelizes, swirling pan occassionally.
Immediately pour into 2 (9-inch) pie dishes. Turn dishes, so bottom and sides are coated. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl
whisk together eggs, egg yolks and vanilla.
4. Stir in whipping cream, milk and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
5. Divide mixture
among pie dishes.
6. Place pie pans in a heavy baking pan, adding enough hot water to come up halfway up sides of pie
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes clean. Remove custards from water and cool.
Refrigerate overnight (*can be prepared up to 2 days ahead.).
8. Invert custards on platters, spinkle with raspberries