"This is a great recipe for falafel. Everyone that I have
made it for loves it. Yum!!"
* 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
* 1 onion,
* 1/2 cup fresh parsley
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 egg
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 dash pepper
* 1 pinch cayenne pepper
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 cup dry bread crumbs
* oil for frying
* 1 (6 ounce)
container plain yogurt
* 1/2 cucumber - peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
* 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
and pepper to taste
* 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1. In a large bowl mash chickpeas until thick and pasty; don't
use a blender, as the consistency will be too thin. In a blender, process onion, parsley and garlic until smooth. Stir into
2. In a small bowl combine egg, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon juice and baking powder.
Stir into chickpea mixture along with olive oil. Slowly add bread crumbs until mixture is not sticky but will hold together;
add more or less bread crumbs, as needed. Form 8 balls and then flatten into patties.
3. Heat 1 inch of oil in a large
skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties in hot oil until brown on both sides.
4. In a small bowl combine yogurt, cucumber,
dill, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Chill for at least 30 minutes.